Monday, January 12, 2015

So it goes, I guess.


Here it is, only the first few days of the new year, and I’ve already lost track of time.  I mean, things I thought were far off in the calendar are now right around the corner and, well, I’m not ready. 
The big thing looming over me right now is a trip to Mexico with hubs' work.  This is an annual trip to a fabulous tropical (usually) spot.  We've been to Jamaica, Mexico, a few times, Hawaii, Dominican Republic, Aruba and Spain.  The trips were on a hiatus for a few years while the economy was doing it’s spiral.  Last year was the reinstatement year, however.

This year’s trip is in four weeks.  To say I’m not ready is a bit of an understatement.  I haven’t given it enough thought, first of all, and well…I need to lose weight, slough off winter skin, buy some cute clothes, do something with the bags under my eyes, get my hair styled, develop a few anecdotes to share at dinners, whiten my teeth.  The list goes on. 
Last year, after years of having a particular couple with us on trips who assumed the role but no longer travel, I realized that we are maybe the oldest couple.  My God.  There is one other couple that may be older than us, but, I am sure we are a close second if it’s true, and, I don’t think they are going this year.  So, it’s us. Dang.

During a trip to Chicago last summer, I wandered in to a CB2 store.  It is sort of the industrialized version of Crate and Barrel, if you aren't familiar.  Kind of loft style.  So, I’m walking through the store, just picking, you know? A lot of “May I help you, ma’am?” coming my way.  Crazy loud music, but nothing I couldn't tolerate.  I was enjoying my visit, interesting things to see.  After about five or ten minutes in the store, I realized I was the oldest person in the joint.  Seriously, oldest…by far.  No wonder the sales staff thought I needed assistance.   Starting to feel a little self-conscious, I slowly strolled towards the front door, which was a glass cube of sorts.  Here’s the issue….I didn't know which of the high glass panels was actually the door.  I hovered around the cube, hoping someone would come in and give me a clue.  I looked at bathroom décor I had absolutely no interest for, to wait.  To see which of the panels magically opened so that I might make a dignified exit.
Dignified it was, as some bright shiny young person breezed in through the cube and I was able to dart out.  Escape, sweet escape.   

No comments:

Post a Comment