Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spring. 

It’s not quite here but so close we can almost taste it.  Fresh asparagus spring.  Delighting in robins, watching for crocus and hearing Sandhill cranes fly overhead.  Spring.
I am in a daydream period as these last brown and grey filled days become less and bright green, yellow and white start to take over.  I am planning what is next for my walking path and bridge, what secrets to plant to bring new color and form to the winter weary woods.  Waiting to see what new patterns of sunlight the fallen trees will leave behind. 

All three of our children and their families were here this past weekend.  We had a great deal of fun, this being the weekend of women.  Saturday was all about the bridal shower and our big extended family.  Love.   
On Sunday, we threw practicality out the window and sent the grandkids outside after breakfast to stomp in mud, swing and run for a couple hours.  Wishing for more chances like this to get together, to let them be. 

I had a “heart sing” moment when my oldest grandchild came up to me sweetly requesting “GiGi, can we take a walk on your bridge?”
Well, of course! This was one of those moments I have waited for! The opportunity to be one-on-one with this sweet girl for just a few minutes while the little boys giggled and screamed and played swords with sticks.  My path isn’t long, my bridge isn’t high, but it holds a mystery and seems secret to a 6-year old.  This is the reason for my bridge. 

We walked to the other side of the house and down the muddy path.  I pointed out the first set of deer tracks and that became our mission for the next fifteen precious minutes.  Where did they go? Where had they crossed the driveway?  What might they have heard?  What might they have seen?  Let’s stand on the bridge to see it differently.  We crossed through the woods and down the driveway, searching out more answers as we approached the yard.  She skipped on ahead, more familiar with this side of the house, more confident and she was anxious to tell of her adventure.  Fifteen minutes seems like so much more to her, and to me. 
Spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment