Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Breaking out of a few days of some really cold and windy weather, I am back to watering plants and deadheading marigolds.   I’ve done an inspection of some of the azaleas, dogwood and redbud I planted earlier in the year and it looks like they have taken hold in most cases…I may have to replace a couple in the spring but I am willing to top them off with some rich soil for winter and give them a chance.  Planting “whips”, I’ve learned, is a tricky business and takes a special hand.  The dogwood starts were only about 10” to 12” long and not all have taken root.  When I planted some a few years ago I would say 1/3 survived.  My odds are a bit better this year.

I am also moving some daffodils, especially around the new shed.  The shed will be a bit like the barn located on the property in that it will be red, with a green metal roof and white trim.  When hubs and I moved in to our house an old glass paned entry door was the door used at the top of our basement stairs.  We lived with that door for 30 years and only replaced it a few years ago when we upgraded all the doors in the house.  Now it will be the door for the shed, after a nice coat of yellow paint.  I’m getting very excited for the shed to be finished! It will be super cute…which my husband has pointed out is not really the end goal for the shed, but it doesn’t hurt!  He has reminded me it is for tools and boat stuff and not a guest cottage (oh, how I wish!).   The yellow daffodils in the spring will be a nice addition! The ground out there is hard, hard but I am determined!
 
At some point we need to take the old shed down.  I’ll miss that structure but it will be so nice to have that space cleared and cleaned up.  I’ve got my share of potting mess going on over there, and we have some old bicycles, brick and a broken down leaf vac.  It needs some tender loving care and I’m just the person to tackle it.  Hubs said he is not in a hurry, yet, to take the shed down as it will be a chore…and maybe not till spring.  I said we need to put caution tape around it! Maybe a chalk outline.

I’ve got a list a mile long for fall prep and still have two or three plants to get in the ground before it gets too late.  I am in charge of the painting of the barn and some of our metal chairs are getting a new color but require MUCH wire brushing before that happens.  Those are big projects at the top of the list!  Of course, I’m also in charge of fun and I have plenty of that in mind, too! Yes, fall brings a lot of work, a lot of planning and a lot of fun.     

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are getting a shed! I have had my eye on using a shed on our property (named 30 years ago: the Bunny House, b/c a bunny lived there briefly) for garden stuff, but the last 20+ years it has had an antique tractor in it, waiting for repairs and another place to be..... and waiting and waiting. I finally decided to accommodate and moved my Bob-built (in 1975) potting table in the 18 inches from the end of the tractor and the door. so all my potting has to be done with the doors open! But I am happy and now call the shed my Potting Shed!

    ReplyDelete