Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My take on the lake.

I schlepped water down to the marigolds this morning and as I listened to squirrels chattering, sort of lost in my own world, I ignored how wet the bottom of my flannel pajama pants were becoming from the dew.  I gave not a thought to how this might look from the lake.  I so often admire what I see from my yard, my swing, the porch of the new shed…but what a sight the few fishermen out this morning had of me.  I could not even tell you what my hair may have seemed to them, glowing bright in the sun, as I have yet to look in a mirror. 

Last week, as I moved around the yard I gave a thought to what is different about living on a small lake like ours to a big lake like Lake Michigan, right down the road.  My first thought was the connectivity of the homes to the beach, and getting to know your neighbors, with toes in the sand and waves lapping at your ankles.  That’s nice.  I know a few people who live right on the shores of Lake Michigan, their summer place, and they tell me of cocktails at sunset with gathering neighbors, pop up parties if you will.  I like that, seems friendly.  Now, of course, if you live not on the shores of Lake Michigan you know it can be a bit less than friendly, but, that’s another story.

Then there is the boat life.  I know of folks who own big boats.  BIG boats and they never leave the dock, or maybe only once, to make a yearly run further north up the lakeshore and back to home pier again.  They also have gatherings and parties as many have a set-up on the boat and pier to accommodate quite a soiree.  It’s kind of hard to break in there,  if you are interested in becoming part of that life, but, it can be managed with the large investment for a big boat and a yearly dock fee.  I remember years ago Johnny Carson would joke with Ed McMahon about life on a boat docked in a marina, never left the dock, but what a great time they all had there.  I was young and had no frame of reference for what they teased back and forth about.   There was something so classy about the life they described!  
 
There's also life in a cottage or cabin, like my brother's place.   Big and roomy, with a kitchen big enough to make a meal but that's not the focus.  The focus is the open rooms, the big deck and porch, the firepit at night...the gathering of friends and family, especially their dear friend, down the road, who shows up regularly, as soon as the fire starts.  I love that.   The gift of my brother and sister-in-law's hospitality, the dimples and giggles of their charming granddaughters.   I love visiting the cabin in Kentucky and have written before about it being different than my life, my lake and truly magical. 

Then, there’s my life…a small recreational lake full of pontoons, jet skis, row boats, kayaks, speed boats and canoes.  A place where you can disappear for an entire day or for an hour.  Pull up at the beach or out on the water, meet some friends, make some friends ~  it can all be done in the confines of our small but open lake.  We gather in the middle of the lake on pontoon boats, link up, pass kids and food back and forth.   Float, swim, jump and most importantly, start, tend and build relationships.  Laze away a summer day.  While we may be done with swimming for this year we have a few good boating days left.  Sure, it might require a blanket and a warm beverage…hot cider comes to mind…but there are days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment