Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Awakening day.

I was up early walking the dog and had the opportunity to see the sun rise on a beautiful fall morning.  Patches of sun as the yard awakened, highlighting old leaves, flowers looking for their last kiss of summer. 

I am not a gazing ball kind of gal.  But, I saw a gazing ball earlier this year at a relative’s home and became convinced I needed that spot of glint and glitter in my yard, somewhere.  I couldn’t find the ball I wanted ~ theirs was like a big bubble, blown from the sweet lips of a child.  My current gazing ball is green, and greener still as it reflects the trees that surround it.  I am fond of it, but that clear bubble dances in the back of my mind.   

The yard was cold this bright, sunny morn.  I stood in the sun streaked yard, I paused in the shadows, to come out again so the sun could warm my back, and watched the lake wake up.  A pair of swans had the lake to themselves for a time and the loud flapping of their wings as they took flight echoed across the water. 

This is a glorious morning.  I moved to test the tackiness of the newly painted turquoise chair.  I may not get its partner painted this fall, I may have waited a few days too long for the metal was cold to the touch.  Moving through the yard, up the drive, and back down, to see what the woods offered to me as a train whistled in the distance.  I took my time, I pulled in the crisp air, listened.  So hard to listen at times, but this morning I tried.  There is something about a fall morning that makes it easier to listen.

A busy few days lay ahead and this morning was fuel.  My skin is still chilled, my hands gathering warmth from the coffee cup, my feet welcome the slippers.  I am grateful for the day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment