Wednesday, October 7, 2015

One for the books.

Last weekend we hosted our sixth or seventh, maybe eighth, annual chili party for family.  I started this event for purely selfish reasons…

As I have previously mentioned, hubs and I want to present a different view of our lake home.  To make it more open to family and friends, to have more gatherings here, to give people more opportunity to spend time here, on this wonderful piece of property.  It’s been a full summer and we have enjoyed every minute of having both a big gathering or a small get-together, both planned weeks in advance or a last-minute-cause-its-beautiful-out.  
The chili party started several years ago and is a “family only” party (and let me tell you, we are a very inclusive group and this is HARD) for a couple different reasons ~ the first, that we can never count on the weather so it had to be kept down to just family in case we were indoors.  We’ve had an equal number of really beautiful days and seriously rainy and cold days.  This year was rainy and cold. Second, and this remains true, my kids are all a distance ~ the chili party is an opportunity to have a gathering when they spend time with their family, without a theme or parade.  My kids are the only ones that are out of town, you see.  If there isn’t a gathering, they may never see their cousins or aunts and uncles.  Oh, there’s holidays, sure, but those are busy times, and they can’t always make them or there’s a million things to do.   The chili party, gathering just our family, allows my kids to connect with their family and their family with them.  Selfish, yes, I know. 
The Chili Party is a bit of a tradition now, deserving of capitalization.   Everyone tries to make it and my kids love being here with their family.  It focuses us on each other, conversations are between cousins who may not have had time to sit down on the 4th of July, or Labor Day, and talk one on one.  Family secrets and successes are revealed, laughter is shared, little kids get to know one another as family.  Gathering around a fire is always magic, life changing my daughter says. I love the Chili Party, I really do, for all the selfish reasons and the not so selfish ones, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment