Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Don't miss it.

Not gonna lie, was having a bit of a melancholy week last week.  I think it started with me watching a video, yes, that’s right VHS, of my kids, my mom and dad, my sister…my family.  Some of it was joyful, but, some was just painful as I remembered loss. 

So, I was blue.  Bluer than blue on the day of my birthday, Wednesday.  I had a nice little (*cough*) cry and tried to right my world for the rest of the week and the weekend, but it was difficult. 
Then things started falling into place.  This was the weekend of my mother and father-in-law’s estate auction.  There was lots to look through, people to see and visit with and much to do.  My girls were coming and so was a dear, sweet niece and her husband.  Nothing to do with the auction, but circumstances not so kind were bringing her from Virginia to Indiana, and after years of asking her to visit, she was going to be here. 

My sweet niece, only daughter of my sister and as fun as she can be.  Giggles all the while talking and is so much like her mom in so many ways, and so much not like her in others.  It’s been a few years since I’ve seen her but less since I’ve talked with her, as I try to keep in touch with her, and she with me.  She always tells me she loves me and she always makes me laugh.  She and her husband would be spending the night and my girls were going to try to stay (one did, one was not able to) so they could see her, too.  I made a couple calls and invited my brothers over for dinner.  We were going to celebrate, and so we did. Quickly, in a small batch, but none-the-less meaningful. 
Once again I am reminded of the fragility of relationships.  The fleetingness of life, and family.  But, I am also reminded once again to take joy, to grab on, to hold tight and to be grateful for those opportunities that don’t present themselves often, but when they do, one, two, three GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment