Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Oh, the adventures.

Today in Lake Living...could be an awesome quiet day, like it started this morning, with a walk along the shoreline and a sit on a newly acquired and gently used bench, temporarily set on the porch of the little shed.  This makes for a great sitting spot for the season, and hopefully enough room left in the shed to move it inside in December, although it is filling up fast.   Little dog and I enjoyed about a half hour on the bench and surveyed the yard, recently cleared of leaves but still fallish.  A smoldering leaf fire and three swans taking a morning swim.  Nicely brisk, enough for my black and red flannel jacket from the men’s department, but not chilly enough to pop up the hood.   Yes, the porch of the shed is a great place to start the day, with a cup of coffee and a dog.  Sounds bucolic enough, right?  

I semi-planned my day.  Do I brave senior citizen discount day at the local grocery or do I wait, pulling something out of thin air for dinner this evening?  Should I sweep the deck? What do you think, little dog on the bench beside me? Little dog? Oh, little dog, where did you go? A walk around the shed, whistling. Scanning the yard, calling.  Stinker, I think to myself.  We've been working on "stay by me" as she has disappeared for several minutes a time or two lately, and is not quick to respond to being called.   
Whimper.  Shake.  Jingle of her tag and collar, dust rises from between the boards of the porch floor.  Crum.  Little dog, as she sniffed around, and then under the shed, became wedged within the floor system under the porch.  Can she really get under the shed? Why would she? Note, this is a flaw and should be remedied.  After a few minutes, I sent a message to the dog whisperer I call my sister-in-law.  I may or may not have an emergency…

A bit of coaxing and talk of taking out boards, but not finding the right drill bit to remove the screws, little dog comes out with some gentle pulling on her collar.  A few licks of thanks to the dog whisperer (from the dog, not me) and little dog is at the back door, anxious for her breakfast and a nap.  Me, too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment