Tuesday, November 17, 2015

I think it was in our vows.

I have taken a jump to my Christmas shopping, which is not like me at all.  I usually am out there deciding during that last week.  Especially when it comes to kids pj’s, which is my traditional Christmas Eve gift.  I’ve scaled back and only do the grandkids now because, well, the kids, now all in their 30s (gasp!), don’t grow and their pj’s tend to last forever ~ or nearly.
  
So, this year, I started earlier, even if it is only just putting a name at the top of a list.   I don’t mind the racing around at the last minute and there probably will be some of that still, but…I don’t want to see a grandbaby with the wrong pj’s!
Since I don’t put up a full tree, I did start breaking out a few decorations.  Nothing super huge but starting in one area of the house and kind of working towards the kitchen to both dust some woodwork and decorate a bit before Thanksgiving, because the grandkids will be here.  I don’t know, something has gotten to me this year ~ I need that holiday spirit, I want it.   After a HORRIBLE news week, I’m more determined than ever to spread a little joy, a little Christmas cheer.  I spent time recently with one of my favorite relatives, always enjoying her company and just all around wasting time, but in a very good way.  We poked around in a garden center, which was getting decked out for the holidays, picked up some “must haves” and ate a great cup of soup in the brew pub.   We shared stories of family and expressed our gratitude and love for each and every one.
The actual gifts are a bit harder.  This year I have to admit to being a little clueless all around.  I won’t go the 100% gift card route yet, but, it is getting closer.  I like surprises, though, and I enjoy shopping for just the right thing.  I try to stick to a budget, do okay, and just bite the bullet if I go overboard.  Sometimes I wish I had a shopping genie.  Someone who would like to go, help me with my bags, “ooohhhh”  and “aaaahhh” over every item I stop to review, and allow me the time to make a decision, even if it means going BACK to a store we just left.   As far as hubs, well, he tells me he’ll go but then folds his arms and whistles, obviously not into it.  So much looking over my head while the whistling air ruffles my tresses. 
What happened to just shopping? Just shopping for fun, for a break, for nothing? Remember when we used to all go to the mall for a date? Just shop? Buy nothing but maybe an ice cream cone or a pretzel? Remember the pretzels? So, its settled.  While not totally enjoyable for either of us, I will drag hubs from store to store again this year.  It’s his duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment