Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Lessons of value.

Like a lot of people who learned their financial lessons in 2009 getting out of debt has been a long road for us, as when the economy fell, so did the lumber business.  We suffered some setbacks, we strategized and tightened our belts a lot in the last six years and can now say, phew, glad that’s over.  It kind of screwed with our retirement plan and savings but we will be good, just not quite where we would have liked.  It also taught us a lot about want vs. need and how to budget.  I can honestly say, although not a financial whiz, budgets are important.  You have to know what you have and where it’s going.

That being said, I’m a shopper and a spender.  It’s been tough on me these last few years as I have cut back, and cut back some more.  I stopped working outside the home and cannot shop like I use to, but, I also find myself in my “home uniform” of leggings or yoga pants, t-shirts and a multitude of cardigans that were once used to fight off the chill in the office every day.  I have a couple of “go to” dresses and sweaters or tops for the occasional night out and I’m good with that.  I don’t always like it, but I cook, and I cook well, on a budget. 
Back in the early 2000s for several months, I bought a new bath towel or two every month, to replace the towels we had received as wedding gifts twenty years before.  Since all the kids are grown, these towels have lasted a good long time as they aren’t used like they once were, aren’t in the laundry every other day.  As I folded towels the other day, I began thinking about replacing them…some are stained, some faded, some raveling. Years ago, I would have relegated those to the rag basket and thought nothing of buying a new towel.  Now, I think about it, and delay it until it makes sense.
I am still way over-burdened with things.  I have to search for an empty spot to put my platter away after entertaining because I have so much stuff in the cabinet.  I have to organize my closet again and again, discarding or donating, to make room for my clean laundry.  It is not lost on me how very blessed I am, that I am warm, that I am fed, clothed and have clean water.  I think about it daily and am somewhat embarrassed by my excess at times.
So I will go through my closet again with the changing of seasons and donate gently worn or seldom used items.  I am thankful for our “bad” times, so much gentler than many, many others have had, I know -  our lessons were light compared to horrible situations others found themselves in.  Our lessons taught us how to approach the next decade.  Carefully, diligently and determined. 
These towels are fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment