Thursday, December 22, 2016

Luck or experience?

There have been many days that I haven’t planned much, haven’t shopped much and haven’t cooked much during this project.  Sometimes I feel really lame over dinner menus; I have mentioned this before.  Guilty even as the guy in the house works so hard.  Thing is, he will eat anything and appreciates everything, except maybe breakfast for dinner, which I will never understand.

Anyway, I came home from visiting grandkids earlier in the month and it seemed there was nothing in the pantry, fridge or freezer to make for dinner.  At least, not an assortment that would make a full meal and I was not in to going to the store.  There was a can of tuna, but no noodles for casserole, there was hamburger patties but no buns.  Three potatoes.  There was a container of chicken white meat taken off the bone from the deli.  A little cheese, a little frozen broccoli, wadded up in a bag and secured with a big fat rubberband.  
   
Hubs made chili for himself while I was gone, and there was some leftover…but he had eaten it for two days already.  I wasn’t about to offer him chili.  He had bought, but apparently forgot, a can of crescent rolls.  I don’t typically have crescent rolls around.  I like them okay but prefer hard rolls, or garlic bread.   Standing at the fridge, door open, trying to piece together ANYTHING that will look good on a plate, a meal was born.
 
I don’t often consider myself an inspired cook but this day, this magical night, for whatever reason, I managed to pull one together that was just enough food, just enough flavor, just enough of “hey, this is good”.  Of course, if he had not bought and forgot the crescent rolls, this would be another ending. Behold, my dish from nothing –



So good.  Throw some stuff in there from the fridge.  I literally had a small hunk of white cheddar cheese, that handful of frozen broccoli and some pecans.  That's about as close to a recipe as I can get.  I think if you have chicken, and crescent rolls, the rest can come together with some mayonnaise - REAL mayonnaise, and just about anything!  What's that you say? Hot mayonnaise?  I also had a can of cranberries that was left from Thanksgiving and it set this off perfectly as a side dish. I mean, this was luck, or experience, or both, and so very tasty.  Look at that cookie sheet. That's seen some love.    

Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope you get what you need and desire, if you are exchanging gifts.  I hope you are surrounded by loved ones, family and friends.  I hope you find joy in the little things, and laughter, oh, how I hope you have laughter.  

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your narrative...I can so relate :-) And your meal looks delish. And your pan looks familiar!

    ReplyDelete