Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Close, oh, so close.

Today is kind of a big deal day.  At least, in my world it’s kind of a big deal.   The kitchen plan is finalized and the cabinets are on order, my friends! It’s not a big change from what I currently have, except for the massive red island that is the anchor in the design! I am so very excited and while it will be a long 4 to 6 weeks waiting on their arrival and installation, I am happy.

The last day of January is a great day to think about spring.  Now, I am hoping this will be especially true for me today as I pack the little red suitcase to take our trip west, to sunshine, to family, to fun and adventure.  I have checked in and printed the boarding passes and with the exception of still not being 100% sure what I am wearing to the family wedding we will be attending, it’s a go.  I thought late winter travel was out for us this year, and I am so looking forward to this trip!

January 31 is also a good day to begin the plan for landscaping.  As I said last week, I am not sure how much I will be able to get done this year as there is quite a long list of “final touch” items, including a massive deck, on the lakeside, but, there is much that can be done on the woods side (or the road side) and the drive way side, once we have a plan for the walk from the massive deck. 

I thought we did have a plan until the fireplace went in.  Not really having an idea as to the size of the vent, and how hot it gets, we had a plan for the walk.  I’m rethinking that now as I believe we need to move the walk away from that unit, and  that’s will have some impact on the landscaping there.  It may not be on the calendar for this spring anyway, but, I have to start thinking about it.  If it weren’t for planning, and fretting, and worry, where would I be?

Except for just a bit of space in the kitchen, under and in front of the stove and fridge, and under sink, the pretty wood floor is complete.  Hubs did a fantastic job of laying the floor, five or six rows a night for several days, until he was done.  The furniture arrangement is currently a nightmare, and the pots and pans are scattered in boxes stacked in the foyer, some accessible, some not so much, but we are ever so much closer. 
 

Now, that being said, I enjoy a wood floor.  I especially enjoy a clean wood floor. Living here, and with not a lot of grass to brush the sand and dirt off the bottom of your shoes, I am a good friend with my broom.  Oh sure, I have a vacuum,  but, I was a bit concerned my old Oreck would scuff the new floor or not do a great job, and although a great vacuum it is a hassle to drag it out, plug it in, plug it in a different spot as I moved around the house…you know the drill.   So, I bought a new, rechargeable “stick” vacuum for the new wood floor and I have to tell you, it’s a fantastic little thing.  Battery operated, runs at least 20 minutes (which is more than enough time to vacuum a pretty big space) and has done an impressive job on the new wood floors I thought were pretty darn clean to begin with, along with the new area rugs I have in the living room and in front of the fireplace.  If you are looking for a great, quick, convenient rechargeable vacuum,  check into the Shark Navigator. It has both a carpet and bare floor setting, easy to swap with just a tap of your foot, which is also how you turn it on and lean the handle back. Bam! You’re sweeping.  I got mine on Amazon for under $80, and totally worth it.  You will especially appreciate the charging unit is a base that the vacuum wheels just sit right down in.  That’s it, just back that little dude right into park in it’s base and you are good till the next time, without having to think about “Oh my word, I forgot to charge the vacuum…” Love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment