Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Back after a break!

So by now you all know, the giraffe is still not a new mom.  I feel for her having once gone 2 weeks past my due date ~ yes, they use to let you do that ~ and then spent 10 days in the hospital for it.  (so you know, I actually started this post LAST week…a whole ‘nother week has passed without that dang giraffe baby)

The good news here is that it is Spring, really.  It says so on the calendar and everything.  My kitchen is about two thirds done with only the counter tops and a few screws that remain loose.  In the cabinets people…not in my head.

I love the cabinets.  And I love the new appliances.  I LOVE the crushed ice that comes out with a press of the button.  It really takes very little to make me happy, I tell that to everyone.  I am about shopped out, although I am considering a new crockpot.  I have donated two boxes of kitchen and miscellaneous stuff to charity and have a third box collecting items that I know someone will need, just not me. I am somewhat appalled by my excess…I have a lot of stuff I don’t need.

That brings me to knowing what it is that I DO need.  I am discovering what I don’t need, and getting rid of it as I go.  But, the big question, at my age, is "what do I need?".  I sometimes wish I was 45 or 50 years old and I would quickly answer “hot tub”.  I wish I was 40 and I would answer “tummy tuck”.   Now, at 62, I just want my home finished and to be able to go out into the yard to do some landscaping.

I find I don’t really care about stuff like I use to.  Part of aging I guess.  Part of spending way too much money over the years on “stuff”.  Part of going through other people’s stuff and realizing they kept way too much.  I think we all get to this place, if we have someone that is going to be taking care of what we leave behind, that we are leaving way too much behind.  Cause you know, you can’t take it with you.

I have written before of my childhood and the lack of memorabilia from then…no ornaments, no school papers to speak of, no age-old dishes or furniture.  We just didn’t have the room in the little mobile home we were raised in.  I have an attic full of items, a basement with even more and all the knickknack things that must be out where I can see them, every day.  Since so many of my things have been packed up for lots and lots of days and weeks, I am finding I need a whole lot less of those things than I thought.  Look for me on “Offered Up” or “Let Go” … you might need my stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment