Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Changes, changes

We have been in the throes of renovation for about 8 months now.  I am sure you are tired of hearing about it, as am I.  I am not talking about renovation this week, as I wait for the water softener guy to come, or the crew that will be measuring for the countertops.  I am going to move outside for a while.

The moon garden space was cleared over the weekend and it is not looking great at this point.  It looks as though the soil needs a bit of beefing up and I worry that some of the perennials that were planted last year did not winter over very well in their new home.  That being said, it’s early and I could be wrong and everything will be just fine once the sunshine starts.

Now, when is that going to happen? The skies have dumped rain on us almost every minute of every day for a couple of weeks.  To say it’s soggy around here would be an understatement.  When it’s not raining, it’s pretty darn cold.  I almost felt it was too early to expose the ground in the moon garden area because of the temperature, but, there were just so many leaves, wet, wet, heavy leaves, on top to leave it alone.  I unearthed a wind chime in the woods, too, that I had forgotten about and laid in a tangled heap in the leaves, so that was fun.
 
One of the projects during Camp GiGi Spring 2017 was rock caterpillars.  I was a little disappointed in their outcome as, although cute, they aren’t holding together super well. I will be fixing them before taking them to their homes this weekend (I think because they painted their rocks, the silicon isn't grabbing).  Mine is holding like a champ and is the cutest.  It is going in the moon garden area later this week, if it ever stops raining!

I am again preparing a list of plants for purchase this season, and have already checked the opening days for some of my favorite local nurseries, as well as have a “wish list” on a garden website or two.  I have a pair, okay maybe two, of great new sturdy gloves and a new garden scissors.  There is some sad news.  After celebrating last year that Harry was going to survive being transplanted, he is not looking too well.  I did take some dramatic steps over the weekend and cut his twisted and curly branches all the way back, to see if I could revive him.  I will keep you posted of his progress, but, don’t be surprised if he doesn’t pull through.  The Mildreds are looking great however, and a new transplanted azalea, the Jean Marie, is in a new home.  I will take pictures of these lovely gals as they bloom out this spring.
 

Life in our yard is becoming a bit hectic as the season begins to open up to all its possibilities.  It will be active around here for the next several months, first with our own projects, a new home beginning next door, some possible renovations just within view of us, and a bit of an outbuilding across the street.  Our neighborhood has changed, is changing and will be changing some more over the next few months, and years.  In some ways I feel like my little moon garden, my walking path and my shed are the constants for now.  All will be turmoil, for a while, except these places of rest…

No comments:

Post a Comment