Wednesday, November 30, 2016

That wine looks a little thick.

That’s it folks.  The holidays are upon us.  Blink, blink.
 
Six months ago, I thought things would be different.  I thought I would be preparing some kind of wonderful feast on my new stove, located in my new red island.  I thought I would be looking over a new sectional couch in the living room and a warm fire, turned on with a switch, crackling (or not, unless there is a sound track) in the fireplace.

Not so much.  First, while the island will be red, the stove is no longer going to be located there.  I was talked out of it.  Secondly, it seems a sectional may just be too big for the space and well, the fireplace sits in a pole barn at the lumber yard waiting for me to give the word to have it delivered…which I can’t do until the flooring is here.  Which, I learned recently hasn’t even been ordered yet because we had to focus on the siding and getting “buttoned up” for the winter on our project I hoped would be done in October.  As I said last week, I didn’t have my new mantel for Halloween, nor Thanksgiving and it’s looking sketchy for Christmas.  I told my buddy yesterday that I am going to decorate that mantel, by golly, even if it meant doing so on Christmas Eve. However, I actually own a cut out of Abe Lincoln so I'm good for his birthday and if that's the first holiday I decorate the mantel, so be it! 
 
All complaining aside, it’s coming together, really, and I am not upset by the pace.  It’s been an exciting project and I know we are going to love it when it’s complete.  The exterior is taking shape and looks awesome, after struggling over the color decision.  I have a fabulously wide front porch, a nifty little portico over the kitchen door, a screen porch to expand our living space.   My living room is going to be magazine worthy here in about two or three weeks and well, the kitchen will get done.  It will.
 
We have lived in this little house for all but a few months of our married life, 39 years.  Raised our family here and enjoyed the lake and small woods.  It’s been grand, seriously.  The kids had a great childhood here even though they may have missed sidewalks.  They had lots of family around them, all the time, many memories.  To see this house change so much in the last few months into something bigger, to accommodate more people, more memories, has been exhilarating at times.  I know once everything is substantially complete, I will miss the little living room just a bit.
 
NOT.  No, not one bit.  I have great memories and awesome pictures from the past parties and gatherings with people shoved in to that small living room, but not going to miss it. We did make that little mistake with the color for the living room and are now spending a couple days painting it a new, richer grey.   Our sweetie pie niece came back to do the high parts on the ladder for me while hubs worked outside on lighting and will return to do the second coat with me yet this week, then it will be behind us.

All while trying to maintain the rest of the house, which looks like storm aftermath.  I have right now at this very moment a bottle of wine next to Murphy’s Oil soap sitting on the 12” of counter still in the kitchen by the stove.  I hope to not get them mixed up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment