Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Put this on the list.

It’s Election Day and I have exercised my civic privilege and feel darn good about it.  I sincerely hope you have, or will, as well.  It’s a great day in America, and although there are those that feel otherwise, I believe that every day in America is great.

This house has undergone a tremendous change in the last few days and there are oh, so many more changes on the near, and far, horizon.  I have been asked many times if the kitchen cabinets are on order…uh, no.  How about the flooring? No, um, that’s still not quite yet.  What about siding? Is the siding up?  Well, no.  But here is what HAS happened.  The walls have been painted, the trim boards are up on the exterior and the siding is expected next week, as is the fireplace. The cedar boards that wrap the exterior posts are here, ready to be stained, which is on my agenda for tomorrow morning.  The truck from the lumber yard just dropped off the ceiling material for the porches which will also be stained.   I have about four area rugs to decide between, with a shopping trip planned for Friday and I have to pick up my fancy swivel rocking chairs soon.
 
I don’t have a “bucket” list or a life goals list, or even much of a to-do list considering the mess I am living with right now.   I mean, I have some daily stuff that I think about before I go to bed at night.  “Tomorrow I must” and I keep it pretty much to that.  I am a poor planner I guess.  The house project has certainly got me thinking beyond tomorrow on some days, and I have a vague idea of what needs to happen before something else can be completed, but, I find I am screwed up most of the time.  Hubs forgets that I need to know, or at least want to discuss, what’s coming up. He and I are keeping differing schedules as far as the construction timeline - which is why the flooring isn’t on order, and why I am the last to know that something is delayed.  In my mind that should be happening soon; in his, it is more about “buttoning up” for winter and something is pushed.  

One thing that I am good at planning, or at least spending a lot a time thinking about, is decorating the mantle for the holidays.  Really disappointed that I wasn’t able to do so for Halloween, I have become more insistent that the fireplace get finished for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Only thing is, I haven’t decided on a mantle.  My buddy is off on another project for a few days and will be coming back to concentrate on siding first, so I have a few days to think about hearths, and stone and mantles but that’s a big installation that comes shortly and I need to be a bit more ready.   

I have really enjoyed reading near daily Facebook posts on the election, love the especially thoughtful and smart posts from women and men I have known since they were children. I look forward to the results rolling in tonight.  I stopped after voting for a celebratory croissant-wich at the local royal fast food. I figure I deserve it! It is not, and I understand, the best thing for my diet, which is why I don’t eat one every day, but, gosh, I do love the good ol’ fast food breakfast and those little potato bombs.  Meanwhile, I have a sister-in-law on a cruise in France.  Would that I could! I would love a bottle or two of French wine, and a plate or fifty of French cheese, and a real croissant.  Now, I could get behind a bucket list with that! To do, baby!  

No comments:

Post a Comment