Monday, January 3, 2011

The back burner simmer.

Its rather odd to wake up the first few days of January and have the snow completely melted and sunshine beaming in the windows, but, hey, I’ll take it for now.  Makes it easier to get out and grocery shop anyway.  It is super cold, however, and I guess that is why this is winter. 
A negative to working at home like I do is if there is a computer issue, its all on me to fix. If  I can’t get connected in to the systems for some reason I have to go to a support queue to be managed in a way, way too long and overburdened system.  That’s how my January morning is starting out.  It gives me time to look around my desk, see what I need to throw out and begin organizing my paperwork for taxes and what not, but, gosh, patience for this is not my strong suit.  One of the trade-offs for my work-at-home life. Today is one of those days; the tech support queue is long and the time I was going to have “for myself” this morning is being spent waiting in that queue.  
I often reflect and have the time “for myself” late at night, so this is a little different for me to just be waiting here.  If I look to the left, there it is - the big pile of papers and filing.  If I look to the right, eh.  Not much.  If I look ahead, well, that’s another story.  That’s the window, that’s daydream land.  While I am waiting in this queue, you see, I have to be ready for that tech support person to come on.  I am basically stuck here...simmering.  I can’t really get up and go about my day because they might be here any second, and if I am not, boom, they let me go and on to the next one who has been willing to wait.  I’m not scheduled to work yet so thank goodness I tried my systems early. 
This is when I usually shred stuff.  I feel good about shredding things.  It makes me feel like I am so organized.  I like deciding what doesn’t need to be shredded and can just be thrown in the recycling bin.  I am constantly amazed at the amount of paper garbage that comes in our  mail.  I know we have made great progress in the land of junk mail but wow, it is still a huge issue in my house.  I stopped taking magazines years ago, we do not get the paper but I get a tremendous amount of other junkmail.  If I could figure out a way to get the bills to stop coming in the mail, that’d be perfect.  
Oh, here’s the support tech now.  I guess its time to focus on a bit of work.  That wasn’t so bad; an hour and a half.  I got some shredding done and had breakfast.  Made a call.  Its not always a bad thing to be put on the back burner! 

1 comment:

  1. I currently have at least 3 piles of shredding / filing / trash that needs to be sorted. One of my least favorite chores. My nemesis. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete