Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ode to a brutha...


This morning started off like usual...stiff getting out of bed and shlepping around the house for a little before settling in to work.  Then the phone rang.  It was my little brother and he was in my neck of the woods.  
He showed up at the door, his handsome self and brought with him, as he always has, a certain amount of his specialness.  Now, I have always had this theory that if you have known a red-haired boy you will always love red-haired boys.  I love this little brother.  I have a second theory that if you have known a Kevin, you will always love Kevins! I do, too!  I have a special fondness for Kevins! 
Anyway, my not-so-much-red-haired-any-more brother Kevin came to my house, with his specialness, this January morning.   Now, this is unusual.  Kevin has not been a drop in to see you kind of guy over the past 20 years or so.  He’s busy, has a full life and a wonderfully busy wife as well.  They have been active in their community and surroundings and generally, well, involved.  
In my neck of the woods, he was to pick up some bicycles.  Now, he has had bicycles around his house for a long time. There are even some for decoration in his pretty back yard.  But, today, he is here picking up bicycles for another reason.  My brother is involved with an organization out of Chicago, Working Bikes Cooperative, that rehabs old bikes and sends them to countries all over the world.  Places like Ghana and Guatemala...places where the difference of having a bike and not having a bike can be life changing.  The organization accepts donated bikes from a host of places and you can even run a “bike drive” to encourage your neighbors and their neighbors’ neighbors to drop off a bike at your local event.  Clean out that garage and basement folks...there’s a need for your unused bike.  Is this the coolest thing ever or what? 
I love this little brother for a whole new set of reasons today! Oh, and kids, about your old bikes in the garage....

3 comments:

  1. Yes...this is right up your lil' alley! Oh but that's cause you have a Kevin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a bike drive as soon as the tulips and daffodils start showing their heads. Gotta love that red-headed (almost) boy! He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete