Sunday, January 9, 2011

Oh, for a frother.

Just got back from an attempt to locate a recipe in a magazine I saw some time ago at my mother-in-law’s house.  Went through a stack of food mags and came up empty handed as far as the recipe I wanted, but, boy, there’s a lot of good sounding stuff out there in the world, isn’t there? Especially if it involves cheese.  Yum. 
At times I think it is just too difficult to be a great cook.  Other times, I review a recipe and it doesn’t seem all that hard.  I can follow a recipe for crying out loud, can’t I? I’m an okay cook, not a great cook.  By okay I mean my family didn’t starve while the kids were young.  The trick is, like so many projects, its not necessarily the cooking its the tools.  I don’t have a lot of fancy tools, pots or pans.  No frother, no stand mixer. 

I am a big fan of the small house, small mortgage line of thinking.  However, it leaves little room for “stuff”.  For example, I would really like a toaster oven.  I don’t have room for a toaster oven.  I would like a stand mixer, again, no room.  I just  realized that this may be a carry over from growing up in a trailer days...just no room.  But, on the other hand, I can’t say that I don’t have other stuff.  I've got plenty. 
I guess it is just that I don’t have the kitchen stuff that is required, or seems to be if the magazines are being truthful with me, to be a great cook.  Like a super huge pot.  I’ve got a pretty big pot.  It has to stay in the basement when not in use as there’s not a cabinet that will hold it.  My niece has an ginormous pottery bowl that she makes spinach salad in...I love that bowl but I have nowhere for a bowl of that magnitude.  Along with their beautiful family, I love seeing that bowl come in the door.  
The thing about it is, after I realize I don’t have the stuff, I realize I don’t really want to be that cook anyway.  I don’t want to spend an hour getting the perfect peaks in my egg whites or, seriously, bringing the glaze to the proper sheen.  I am really grateful for people that want to be great cooks, and have the stuff to make it happen.  I am more than happy to visit their homes. 

5 comments:

  1. Cindi: The trick is to visit great cooks (with their ginormous kitchens... ) at dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne...you and I think alike! As I said, I am more than happy to visit their homes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a very plain cook but because I love to cook and bake, people think I'm a fancy cook! Nothing could be further from the truth. I just get great joy spending time in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindi, we just moved into a small Chicago condo, and I am really learning to appreciate the purging of stuff we had to do as we moved away from our house in Indiana. Life just seems simpler, even if occasionally it would be nice to have some extra "stuff." Great post.

    ReplyDelete