Sunday, July 10, 2011

One of the best things I have ever bought...

Alright, I'm going to take a bit of a turn here and post about this great 3 piece strainer set I recently got at Wal Mart.  Now, think what you will about Wal Mart but they do have some great stuff..you just have to admit.

If you didn't know by now,  I am an "empty nester"; I am also an empty nester in a small nest so I try to shop reasonable sizes.  Not to say I haven't gotten some very wrong items over the years, I have many, many times.  But, I completed the 12 step program on over-sizing and over-purchasing a couple years back and things are much less crowded around here.

So a couple weeks ago, middle child and I were shopping at the Wal Mart in her town.  I got held up looking for an item in the housewares and she wandered off.  As I rounded a corner, there she stood,  holding this set of strainers with a look of awe and wonderment on her face.  I right away widened my eyes and "Ohhhh'd", as is appropriate when out shopping.   We looked for a second set so we could each have one, then a third for youngest daughter and a fourth for son and his girlfriend.

This strainer set is ideal for my kitchen!  See that small one? Well, its perfect for just my single serving of grapes, or for straining olives for my egg salad.  Washing a few cherry tomatoes for your salad? Perfect!  I love this little thing!  The bigger sizes are great as well with the largest not quite as big as a traditional size colander but the steep sides make it super for big quantities or sizes.  The set is stackable of course, in this bright fun green and.....wait for it.... $5.97.  $5.97!

I am very deliberate about my purchases these days; I have wasted too much money on the wrong thing  far too many times.  I have suffered through tons of clutter and am still drawn to a wide variety of "things" but I have streamlined a bunch in the past five years.  I try (and its not perfected yet, I said TRY) not to bring anything in unless I know something is going out.

Long live the small house!

No comments:

Post a Comment