Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Red, white or what?

I am not a connoisseur of wines but I do enjoy a glass with my evening meal and shared among friends around a kitchen island or counter.  On a porch or a deck, with a view or without, around a fire.  I like cheese, too, and yes even the tangy blue.  Crumbled, with some walnuts.  Yummy.  I enjoy a creamy brie, a smokey gouda, a soft muenster.  I do like cheese. 
Not all of you are wine drinkers.  I hear some folks get headaches from wine. So sorry for you.  This, I guess, is more common for red wine than white.  Others don’t drink wine  because of a personal belief or a history of issues and addictions.  I respect those circumstances.  
My favorite is Cabernet.  Like it.  Can find it in any price range and frankly, sometimes the “cheap stuff” is “good stuff”.  I’m fond of the little label Mad Housewife but have recently really loved Bogle.  
Have you tried Bogle? Great smoothness, nice fruitiness.  I am trying the Bogle Merlot this week and it is also very good, a bit lighter than the Cab, and nice sale price at the local grocery this week.  
While I am not huge into whites, I do love the Toasted Head Chardonnay and will order this when I am out.  Served at the right temperature, it is a pleasure to drink.  Its a strong white so if you like the light and fruity, don’t bother.  But if you like to taste a wine, this one is good.  Also under $14 a bottle and can find on sale around $10 at times. Its worth it, but remember, the temperature on a chilled white makes ALL the difference.  I don’t have a wine cooler which is why I often wait to have a glass when I am out at a place with a great wine selection and good refrigeration.   
If you can, try a glass of wine.  The experience of drinking a glass of wine is different than slamming back a shot or a beer.  Savor it.  Relax with it.  Linger over conversation with interesting, or even boring people (they get better with a glass of wine in them). Don’t worry about what you are eating, just enjoy a glass.  If you can’t, that’s okay, I understand but please don’t mind if I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment