Monday, August 1, 2011

Shiny memories

Ever been camping? I have only been a handful of times, maybe a dozen.  Tonight for dinner I made some awesome “hobo” foil packets ~ they are a good small nest entree.  It made me remember some really good times from a few years ago when camping. 
Hubs was not much of a camper and I had only been once or twice as a young, single, woman on a motorcycle date with some other couples.  Not much to tell there.  Can’t remember the guy’s name or how I even knew the others, but, off we went for a weekend of camping and riding.  I remember feeling extremely cool but other than that, eh. 
Tonight, hobo packs on my gas grill reminded me of camping with families I love and the fun we had.  The first trip, as many of you will remember, was about 30 degrees at night.  It was COLD.  My instructions were few, my layers many.  It was arranged that we would gather for a group breakfast the first morning.  There was my friend, boy scout  mom, making some fantastic thing in some fancy pie maker jobs over the fire.  Over there was my friend, pioneer woman, making some biscuits for the crowd, over a fire.  Another friend, natural woman, stirring the sausage gravy to go with the biscuits over a fire.  Bacon fried, sausage sizzled.  It was a glorious but chilly morning.  Husband and I plopped a box of donuts on the table and asked about coffee.  Oh, it’s over there...by the fire. 
To say we were newcomers to this camping deal would be the proverbial understatement of understatements.  We were so ill equipped food-wise, blanket-wise, and fire-wise.  We slept in a little hut and heard mice run ALL night long.  We were miserable and fatigued. It was creepy and cold and the best weekend our little family ever had!  
I thought of that great Memorial Day camping adventure as I looked out over my yard tonight, waiting for my gas grilled hobos to finish.  I remembered us as young families.  Goodness, how times and lives have changed.   I think of some of my favorite girls, now moms of their own growing families.  They were so silly and I loved them all so very much.  My “group” of young men. Goodness, what fun.  
Sometimes I think I want to camp.  To hit the open road, to set up a spot and relax.  Foil packets of meat and potatoes do that to me.  

1 comment:

  1. I would love to do it all again! At camp Warner, with everyone. Yes please!

    ReplyDelete