Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pimento Cheese and other thoughts...

I have been handed some great recipes in the past and some I remember to get out; some, I forgot I had and rediscover after a long drought. I’ve been digging in recipes, as I often do, to find some sort of inspiration for dinner.  Its not always easy as I don’t always feel like it.   
One recipe I recently came across was for my aunt’s pimento cheese spread.  If you haven’t tried home-made pimento cheese spread, otherwise known in some parts as “PC” or “Carolina Caviar”, you don’t know what you are missing.  Folks doctor it up in all sorts of ways but my favorite is shredded cheddar, mayonnaise (not the fake sweet creamy white miracle of sandwich spreads folks, MAYONNAISE), pimentos, a dash of Tobasco and pecan chips.  You notice that there are no measurements there...because I have no idea.  Just whatever looks right.  Dangerous on saltines while dinner cooks or waits to be cooked....
Another recent discovery is the absolutely fabulous four cheese rosa jarred sauce for pasta.  Its a brand name, Bertolli I think, is slightly pink and has tomato you can see in the jar.  On some pasta with peppers and sausage, if you have it and is how I met it, or alone on some shape or another, its fantastic stuff.  Thanks to my sister-in-law for this one.  Does not have the “canned” taste like some alfredo sauces I have had and has that nice undertone of tomato.  Try some! Be sure you get the Four Cheese Rosa, not the Vodka Tomato Cream Sauce...entirely different.  
Finally, my recipe for today comes from my youngest child.  I threw it in the crock pot a few minutes ago and will serve it up later with a packaged cornbread muffin mix.  Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup and can be found online at allrecipes.com.   This is an amazingly good and quick soup, a little reminiscent of chili but not quite as heavy.  Good stuff and freezes well, which is awesome as it makes a LOT.  Good for company, too.  Thanks youngest child! 
I just realized I have referred to three of my very favorite people in these great tips.  Wow...that is a coincidence not planned.  Isn’t life grand? 

1 comment:

  1. I was not referred to. But then, I'm pretty much the most boring eater on the planet, so I sorta understand. Although, I did make those lemon buddies the other day...

    ReplyDelete