Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Take time, take care

Living on a small lake, I enjoy sharing the lake with others in our large family.  Its a great piece of property and although we wonder how we are going to be able to care for it as we age, we’ll figure it out later.  That day isn’t here yet. 
We had great weather for the 4th of July, and a great family time.  It may be my second favorite holiday while hubs says its his very favorite.  I am fond of Thanksgiving, personally.   But, this year, the 4th will be a standout.  
Hubs got to cross off a bucket list item when he swam in the lake with his granddaughter.  She wasn’t wild about the lake in the previous summers and he was so looking forward to going out there and bobbing around with her.  She was a champ and kicked her little legs like she has been taught.  Has a great floaty vest and took right to the water.  It was a lot of fun to hear my daughter’s voice saying “kick, kick, kick” like we did with her.  It reminded me of my own dad getting such a chuckle when my kids  earned their guppy designation at their swim lessons at the Y.  It was hard to understand the joy at the time, but I get it now, Dad.  I chuckled.  

We also had a nice family get-together with a lot of family here.  Its really important to me to try to bring family together when I can.  Its really for selfish reasons...I love them being together.  I love watching them all in one place, interacting.  Here I am as that observer again, but, I love just seeing it.  I enjoy the similarities, the weaving of lives together, the changes.   
Family is everything.  I know that might be repetitive as I possibly have stated that before, but I so enjoy spending time with my own kids.  I so enjoy spending time with my brothers-in-law, their wives and their kids.  And their kid’s kids.  Oh, my, I love my great nieces and nephews.  When I was first married into this large family I loved having my sisters-in-law so close; built in friends.  As our babies were born, my own had their best buddies a house or two away.  I love to see our grown up young men and women, careers underway, spend time with each other and refresh their relationships.  It can be a bit awkward at first, as their busy lives and their distance try to remain in front, but after a while that washes away and the familiar is in the lead..its the "I KNOW you" that wins, every time.  

Take time for family! Take care of family! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had another family gathering and it went so well. It is my heart's desire to have all three children and their families around my table. Doesn't happen often.. (July, 2012 is next opportunity), and I always have Pat Hannon photo us. 2009 was the last time.
    Family is everything.

    ReplyDelete