Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Ya'll come". So I did.

Had the great good fortune of visiting family, a small reunion of sorts, at my brother's cabin in Kentucky over the weekend.  I couldn't tell you exactly WHERE I was, but I was in a sort of remote little slice of heaven for two and a half days.

The cabin is located somewhere outside of Cadiz, Kentucky.  I am not sure what body of water, and I couldn't tell you if it is north, south, east, or west of Cadiz.  Part of the mystery and charm is not knowing.  I felt worlds away but I did go in to town and do some shopping with two of my sisters-in- law, after about a twenty minute twisty turny ride.

Being in the cabin in the woods, with a great fire pit and a spectacular location would seem kind of redundant since I have woods, a fire pit table and, you know, a pretty wonderful view of my own, but, there is something about being somewhere other than home.  My brother and his wife are wonderful hosts and you don't want for anything while in their care.  There is no cell phone, no internet, no distractions other than from the squawking heron, the calling owl and the occasional skittering in the woods of deer and raccoon.  Yes, I have all these same sounds, but it's different I tell ya.

Originally hoping for all of the family to be able to go, it was not possible for my three kids, nor my third sister-in-law, nephews and families.  So it was just "us".  The grown-ups.  My niece and her family came over for a brief visit on Friday evening so I saw great nieces I had not yet met, and got to catch up with the young wife and mother, whom I last saw as a new bride.  It's stupid to let too much time pass before you see family, let me just say that.

We ate, we laughed, there was fishing, boating, shopping and bourbon.  It was fast, fun and familiar.  I want to go back tomorrow.  To laugh with my brothers, whose memories are as long as love and who make me laugh.  My cabin owning brother is generous, inviting anyone to stay, to visit, to come.  He reminds me of "home".  My other brother, was asked by a visitor "How many brothers and sisters are there?" He replied "Three".  I looked at him and said "Well, gee, there's four of us here."  We laughed and laughed over that one.  Musta been the bourbon.

1 comment:

  1. I also had a wonderful weekend (plus a few days) in California with my mom, sister, sister-in-law, two nephews and one of their families. An odd assortment of people but oh such a fun, memorable time. Just what we all needed.

    ReplyDelete