Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is Cleveland right?

Here’s the thing.  I want this economy to recover.  I really do.  I am so fatigued with it.  I want gas prices to level out, I want food prices to be reasonable, I wouldn’t mind if new home builds increased and people got to go to work.  I think people really do want to work for what they have.   
Last night I watched a report on Cleveland, where foreclosed and abandoned homes are being torn down to at least prevent the vacancy issues that plague so many neighborhoods.  I can imagine this helps with vermin and what not, but how very sad.  The report said 1,000 homes have been torn down in 2011 and they have 20,000 on the list.  
As sad as this report seems, I also see it as hope.  I hope people are able to buy those lots, borrow money at a reasonable rate and term, with honesty and integrity on both sides, find a reputable contractor with a solid, dependable crew and build a modest home that will accommodate their family.  Not a mansion, not with imported marble or ancient stone dug from the bottom of the Mediterranean or something, but a nice, solid, home with a large enough living room and kitchen that will allow their family to be together, warm, cozy and fed.  
Not a monument where every kid has their own TV and xbox 4 trillion, but a home where maybe the boys share a room, share their history and share themselves. A nice bedroom for the parents, where they can sleep and store their clothes...not an “oasis to escape to their own private lives”.  A family home.  Maybe Cleveland will show us how to return to the more practical middle.   
I wish you peace, hope, warmth, safety and love.   

1 comment:

  1. And a window, for every mom to look out of and daydream!

    I appreciate the XBox 4 Trillion comment :)

    ReplyDelete