Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A new holiday twist.

A few years ago, at the home of a co-worker, I was inspired to put up a separate and small tree with just Santa ornaments.  I had a few and thought hers was so pretty and fun, that I wanted much the same.  Now, she had a tall, skinny tree and it was just packed with Santa ornaments...very cool.  I think she called it a pencil tree but I may be totally making that part up.  My tree is only about 36 inches tall.  I do not have nearly the number of ornaments that she has. 
So a few years into it, (like at least fifteen!) I really love my Santa tree.  We have had a second tree, a live one, until a few years ago.  I got a great deal on an artificial tree after the kids all left for college and started using it.   Its too big though, and takes up way more space than I have to devote to trees.  I have some great ornaments, some beautiful ones, other than the Santas, so I have always had a second tree, rather live or this newer artificial one, for these beauties. 
This year, we were going to be out of town on the holiday weekend.  All children in one location, but not our home city.  It was going to be a different Christmas in a lot of ways, but being in a whole different town was certainly a new twist.  Not only that, but, there was going to be a small group on Christmas Eve, just our youngest and her husband and me and hubs. We were all going to be together on Christmas day.  
The unusual started first with a decision I made at Thanksgiving to not put up the big tree.  The Santa tree went up in a new spot and some other decorations came out but, not the big tree.  Instead, we hung lit garland up over the counter and hung ornaments from the garland.  I LOVE IT! No big tree, the house is still decorated and everyone can see the ornaments. 
I think I am going to continue this new style of decorating for the holidays.  I have plans to get a four foot pencil tree next year for the Santa collection, if I need or want to.  But next year, who knows, I may have another new twist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment