Sunday, January 1, 2012

Some other thing I like.

I put this fabulous recipe that youngest daughter came across for Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup together this windy New Year's Day and sat down to catch up on some news and things at the computer.  I came across a second soup recipe that sounded good as well and thought, wow, I have all those ingredients...rare. 

The first ingredient that it is super unusual for me to have is celery.  Celery is one of those items that got crossed of the "staples" list in 2011 as I never used a whole bunch of celery and would end up throwing away a huge portion of what I bought for one stinking recipe.  My mom had celery all the time in the fridge but I just can't for some reason.

See, 2011, for me, was the year of waste not.  There are a few items that rarely made it on to my grocery list unless I specifically needed it.  Snack crackers was probably the biggest loss.  I usually had at least one box of something or another in the pantry but again, I would throw away stale crackers by the half-box.  I had to try the latest and greatest cracker on the market, but, no longer do so.  It's the woven wheat cracker for me, and yes, now I buy the store brand.  But I do not stock them.  

In fact, I shop pretty much by a menu list now.  I don't stock extra soups, vegetables and tomato sauce like I once did.  I don't know if its economically wise but I don't care if vegies are 5 for $2.00 or whatever; I only need one can of corn this week.  I do not warehouse items although I do usually have a jar of pasta sauce, especially that four cheese roma, hanging out.  

So, it was surprising that I had the celery.  Anyway, a few years ago, on either QVC or a late night infomericial, and in one of the years of waste, I saw the Vidalia Chop Wizard.  I ordered 3...one for me and one for each of my girls.  Why I thought this was the greatest thing ever I can't really say but, I own one.  Today, it was a spectacular addition to my kitchen.  Take a look! 

I sliced the potato in half to get a flat side, which I find easier, and in some cases, I had to quarter the potato so it would fit on the grid. 

Also, if you try to put too much on the grid, the chopper is harder to push through.  Don't try too much as you will spend as much time pushing the darn thing as you will if you use 2 smaller pieces and have an easy push.   
Now, I know a lot of us have fantastic knife skills and think "I don't need no stinkin' chopper" and I can work a knife, don't get me wrong.  But, this little beauty really did a quick, even, nice job. 

The drawbacks.  Green peppers are a bit wonky in the chopper.  You have to be sure you aren't asking too much of the grid, but they also work opposite than you would think...flat side up.  You don't want to push against the tougher skin of the pepper; it should be against the metal so the skin side is being chopped first.  Same with tomatoes although they will still be a bit smooshy.  But, if you are doing tacos for a big crowd...shoot, this is the way to do tomatoes.     


If you are one of those folks that grow a few vegies and like to keep chopped green pepper in the freezer, well, this is your baby.  If you also are one to see the sale on green peppers at the grocery in the summer and think "Oh, I should buy a bunch of those and chop them up, freeze them."  


Me? I have thrown away many a slimy green pepper, all bought with the intention of freezing what I didn't use.  


Another drawback, and it is a bit of a pain, is the cleaning.  The chopper came with a little rake that has been a bit of a hassle to keep track of at times.  It should be stored in the handy bowl part of the chopper, that's what organized people would do.  The key is cleaning it right away and using cold water to get all the remnants out of the pusher side of the chopper and from the metal cutting grid.  If you use warm water after chopping onions for example, well, they are going to "cook" right on to that grid and in those little channels on the lid side (which is what the rake is for).  Best to rinse it and rake it in cold running water, let it soak a bit, rake it some more and then wash with warm water.  


I chopped up all that celery, onion, carrots and potatoes in short order.  I used the small grid for the celery and onion and the larger grid for the potatoes and carrots.  Isn't it purty?  


One more thing.  Youngest daughter gave me this great pyrex bowl with a lid.  The recipe calls for microwaving the vegetable mix to soften a bit.  I understand this is probably one of  the oldest products on the market but I didn't have one...so many open bowls but not much with a lid.  I love it and it was perfect for all those vegies in the microwave!  Here's the link to Vegetable Potato Soup.









No comments:

Post a Comment