Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kentucky revisited

My older brother has a lakeside "cabin".  It's an escape really.  Now, a lot of people would say, but you LIVE on a lake.  Yes, I do and I am forever grateful for my little home.  Being at Barkley Lake is much different.  First, there is my sister-in-law, who never sits down.  My brother, who never stops.  The opportunity to see my niece and her beautiful, sweet trio of daughters.  But, as I have posted before, its the no cell phone, no work worries, no stress of the day that makes it possible to enjoy enjoy enjoy family.   I wish I could adequately describe the smoked pork butt sandwiches on Friday night with my brother's special sauce or the Kentucky catfish, crappie and blue gill fish fry on Saturday night or the neighbor down the road who showed up with a peach cobbler on one visit and a watermelon on the next.  It was a great weekend and the food was tremendous.  But, the giggling girls and the family reconnect made it perfect. 


I came back from my weekend to the regular stuff everyone comes back to.  The laundry, the putting away, cleaning out, keeping or not, emptying of the car.  We had a deluge of a rain for about 20 minutes while in Kentucky, just before leaving to head back north.  Hubs left the sun roof open but said "It's not so bad..." when I asked how much rain got in the car.  I understand the sun roof.  I like the sun roof.  I have tried to understand why he doesn't close the sun roof.  Even if there is ZERO chance of rain, why have the sun beating in on the seats? The bugs flying in to the car? Close the sun roof!  Now, of course as soon as I spent a few minutes in the car I realized that yes, there is quite a bit of water in the car...unpack one of those beach towels, please, so I can look forward to a five hour drive sitting on a damp towel.  He seemed surprised, literally, that there would be any dampness at all as he explained "I wiped the water up with my swim shorts".  The silliness of that makes me giggle today but on Sunday, I'm pretty sure I steamed.  


This week is flying by with a busy time at work and much to do at home.  I have let our pantry run almost completely empty because there was so much in there that just needed to be thrown away and the shelves washed down.  Fridge, too.   That's my at home project of the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment