Sunday, June 24, 2012

Share with me

I have never considered myself a feminist.  At least, I don't think so.  Maybe. A closet feminist, perhaps.  Not extreme mind you, I don't think of myself as extreme in any one direction on any one topic. I hope I consider sides, listen, ponder.   I hope I ask questions that provoke, help open up, go deeper.  Now I realize that not everyone enjoys this...I have been dismissed on many occasions.  Many. 


There is an exhibit at the art center where I work which has struck a chord.  The artist is definitely feminist.  We have two installations of her work and she has also submitted, as is requested of all the artists, a statement.    You'd have to see it to truly understand and read her statement but to summarize it speaks about the spaces between words.  What is said versus what is left unsaid.  


I wish we weren't so uncomfortable in sharing our thoughts and feelings.  I know we have to develop a sense of trust ~ remember me? The one with trust issues? I get it.  There has to be groundwork for sure,  but I wish we really had the ability to hear each other's feelings and not try to convince or sway or move one another to a different feeling.  To accept that feeling as legitimate, real.  I don't tell you things, you don't tell me.  I may tell you what you want to hear. I may tell you what is "safe".   You may tell me what you are suppose to say, taught to say.   


As many of you know, my history is filled with twists and turns to get me here ~ but, it is also the space between that has brought me here.  Just like you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment