Monday, June 4, 2012

An opening.


The art center where I work had an opening on Friday.  We have pieces from all over the country, we have new items in the gallery shop, we have exciting visitors and events planned; we also are without a marketing director.   It’s temporary but it causes us to step up our individual and team game.   As a small staff, we are scrambling to get every thing that needs to be done the best way we can.  It makes for some crazy, drop everything and go times.  At the end of the day...I love us.  
The staff meets weekly and a request was presented to “bump” up the food a little bit for the opening from what we usually make available at our First Friday events, when the center is open late.  I said “I will take care of the food.” Brave.  How many people? 200 or so? My budget? 200 or so.   
Preparing appetizers for 200 in a pleasing arrangement for $1 per person is a challenge.  Fortunately, we have a couple of interns with us for the summer and a collaborative, passionate and determined staff.   While in our small gallery kitchen on Friday afternoon I took a breath and did a step back observation.  I see the data base guy slicing cucumbers, the tall, well dressed, assistant to the curator shmearing cream cheese, the pixie of an intern concentrating on perfect cucumber placement.  I like to take moments and really soak in them.  You guys know this about me...I observe.   I’m happy but I’m busy so back to opening packages, running plates, scrounging for platters and bowls,  I give direction and do my best not to break a leg in shoes I should not have worn.  We were a machine when it comes to appetizers, folks,  and it went off beautifully.  
An opening is electric.  It brings out a celebratory mood in the guests to the gallery and to the staff.  It causes people to dress up and there are so few times anymore when people get dressed up.  A chance to show off their spark-lies and our guests did not disappoint.  People were happy to be out, impressed and wowed by the art on exhibit, sated by food and beverage.  
At the end of a very busy and somewhat conflicted week, we were pleased at the end of our night as any host or hostess is when a party goes well.  Following our opening, hubs and I went down the street to a small pub and listened to some great music, stayed out til midnight and let stress melt away.  What? Our soon to be daughter-in-law’s parents are coming for the weekend? No worries.  With help, I'll be ready!  

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you are really loving your job!~~that's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.... you must have been made for this! Have you noticed you tend to pack in the events on the weekend of First Fridays? last month it was the shower for Stephanie (which went off without a hitch) and I suppose this weekend will go well, too.. but girlfriend... there are three other weekends in the month... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete