Monday, September 17, 2012

Couple things

I had a very nice conversation with someone this week who I was surprised to hear felt almost exactly like I do about collarless shirts, only for different reasons.  She was a customer in the Gallery Shop and was trying on jewelry.  She explained to me she likes to wear v-necks and boat necks to show off her fabulous collection of necklaces but also because, although petite, she felt like she was wide across the top of her shoulders.  Now, I didn't see that at all but she felt pretty strongly about it so I wasn't going to try to convince her otherwise. 

I did share with her that I also prefer collarless but because I have a short neck.  She said I did and then placed her finger on my upper chest and said "Here's your center.  Yours is a bit lower than mine, so you can wear a slightly deeper V." I just nodded like I knew what she meant. 

I don't.

But I found the conversation really interesting and I especially started to catch on to a little of what she saw that I didn't as I watched while she tried on necklaces of various sizes and lengths.  She knew exactly what she wanted and what would look right.   I asked her what she thought about the basic white shirt.  She replied she didn't know as she's never had one "I think they always mean one of those white button down collared things and I can't wear those." 

I started to question whether I need a white shirt after all and was more confused than ever.  However, I like white.  I think I need white, so I am obtaining white.  You can see a white blouse I am considering here:  http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=72302&vid=1&pid=329636&scid=329636012 

or this one http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=72302&vid=1&pid=251984&scid=251984052

I prefer the second one but am not convinced on the polyester.  These may strike you as more casual than I meant originally and they are.   Part of this process has been to figure out my style, what I feel good in. It just works better with my wardrobe;  I like the looser, "peasant" look but I am not into embroidery too much and I usually don't care for lacey.  Although, there is a blouse in a store that is ALL lace and off white.  I thought it would be a great piece to add to the mix, actually.  It does have a collar however and I haven't even tried it on. 

Part of the whole discovery of who Cindi is has been accepting that I have not always presented Cindi. So I have invested some time in seeking out items on the internet that fit into my style.  I have gone through my closet with a fine tooth comb.  It's a wonder I am able to get dressed at all, really.  As I went through pages and pages of white blouses on site after site, I thought of just getting a dang white, button down collar shirt to point at and say "This is what EVERYone must have, and I have one".  I could take people in to my closet and show them as I'm pretty sure I'd never wear it.

Point is, I have realized at this late, great age that I have shopped for years by what's on the racks and what the "office policy" or more accurately, office politics, said I should wear.  Those days are behind me! It takes a little longer to ferret out what I want, but, I'm getting good at it.  I am comfortable sharing with you who I am and clothes help write my speech.    







2 comments:

  1. I am so used to facebook, that I looked for the 'like' button!
    I agree with buying clothes b/c they are there... I have to buy from Eddie Bauer (clearance) cause they are the only ones left making tall tops which is where my height is. So, Eddie Bauer has been my style for years.... but IS it? hmmm...

    ReplyDelete