Monday, November 24, 2014

Give yourself a treat! I know I will.


Today is one of those days that reminds me I have reached my age.  I had to wake up early and not eat so I could have my lab work drawn for my semi-annual visit to the doctor.  It reminds me of how old I am.  I find myself thinking  “How old was my mom when…” to compare myself to what I remember about her.  “How old was mom when my son was born?”  or “How old was my mom when she moved to Florida”.  I remember mom going to the doctor regularly, as did my dad, when they moved to Florida.  It seemed like one of them was there all the time.
It’s beginning to feel that way to me, too.  It seems that I am either at the doctor or calling in a prescription for refill every other day.  It’s annoying.  It’s bothersome.  I don’t like lab work.  I don’t particularly like my doctor all that much to pay to see him.  I mean, he’s nice but not worth the price of admission, if you know what I mean. 

So I award myself a little prize on days that I must fast, then have lab work for my doctor’s appointment in a week or so.  It’s the Burger King Bacon, Cheese and Egg croissant.  Since my doctor is not far from the local BK I just drive myself right over there to treat myself to this high fat, highly satisfying breakfast sandwich.  I have to get up earlier, do something with my hair, put on clothes way too early for my normal routine and to the lab, wait, stick, here’s your cup, see you later and breakfast before 10:00 a.m.
Now, understand, I only do this on lab work days. I am to eat breakfast every day, or so the dietician told me, and she did show me portion sizes and make suggestions.  I am pretty good with my toast and egg or cereal and fruit. Granted she did not say the Burger King Croissanwich is an excellent choice for breakfast, but it is once every six months, so I think I’m good.  

Besides, it’s French and it makes me feel fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment