Sunday, November 2, 2014

One tiny last hurrah

Hubs has been working really hard on the leaves this week.  It’s a big chore with all our oak and maple trees.  He is a machine when it comes to the leaves, however, and he has machines to help…a blower and a vacuum thing that goes behind his tractor.  Except for the amount of time it takes, it is much easier than it was years ago before obtaining these pieces of equipment.

I don’t want to take anything from him, though.  He is a hard working guy and I appreciate all that he does to keep the yard in tip-top shape.  It looks beautiful out my office window.  He took the extra step to blow the leaves off my walking trail and bridge and it makes all the difference when looking out this window to see the trail cut through the woods.  I love it.
I did bring up a sore subject yesterday, however, in the midst of his packing up his gear and tools for the day.  Christmas lights.  Now, we have a tree we decorated with lights last year.  This small tree, near the house, has the lights on it year round and is super pretty.  But, I like lighted trees and yesterday I walked around in the woods looking trees over to see if there were any candidates out there.  I pointed out a couple and he only grunted.  You would think he didn’t enjoy the lights, but I know he does.  He either hates putting them up or hates putting them up with my “assistance”. 

Let’s face it, I’m not much help.  I get cold.  I can’t reach very high and I’m kind of fussy.  I try to direct the circling of the branches as gently as I can, but, it’s not always the sender, you know, sometimes it is the receiver.  Some of this may sound a bit familiar to you as the little tree, which now has lights, has been talked about before.  Anyway, he didn’t see a tree that he thinks will work so that brings me to fake trees.  I have asked if he could “build” a tree from branches cut from live trees and he looked at me like I have developed a third eye. It can’t be impossible, can it? To put some sand and rocks or whatever in a bucket, shove some fairly good sized limbs in and call it a tree? I’ll let you know how this discussion goes…it ain’t over.
I was busy yesterday, too, emptying planters and putting away garden ornaments.  I removed flowers and dirt and put all the empty pots in one place, moved shovels and watering cans and rakes.  I sometimes have let flowers winter over in pots and then have that to deal with in the spring, when I am anxious to plant.  This year, I was rewarded as I emptied a pot near a rose bush.  Near the ground, on a little tiny branch, was a small, fragrant rose.  A bit cold and late for new blooms, isn’t it? But this was my reward for being a good steward to my plants this year…isn’t she sweet?   

No comments:

Post a Comment