Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Keepin' the pace.

I am trying to set a pace and keep to it.  Much like a runner, I don’t want to give too much too early.  This yard work is kicking my rear and I am determined not to let it get by me. 

I have spent a great deal of time on many parts of the yard this spring and realize I may have been going about it the wrong way, hopping from place to place to try to get more things in more areas accomplished.  I would walk by an area and stop to weed it, then go weed over there and then oh, look, that needs some attention.  I think this might be landscaping attention deficit or something.

I read an article that suggested you think of your project as a grid, and either physically lay it out as one or establish imaginary lines.  Considering my whole 2 acres, from lake to road, is a project it is a bit hard to imagine lines but I did think there was merit to some of the advice in the article.  So I’ve slowed it down a bit, developed more of a plan, trying to be more methodical.   I have tried to concentrate on one area a day, for a set amount of time, so as not to burn out and quite frankly, I was getting close.  It’s still only May!

I do still give in to some knee jerk responses to something I see in the yard and I’m like Tom Cruise on a mission.   Case in point ~ a forsythia right smack in the middle of my view of the lake.  Now, I planted this bush a few years ago because I like forsythia in the spring, like the early color.  I have seen it in other yards and really admired it.  But, this bush added no value to me and out of nowhere came the shovel, the clippers and a mean determination to get rid of it.  I set out early in the day and dug, cut and wrestled.  At the end of the day, he was out of my life.  I was left with a pretty big hole,  a huge sense of satisfaction and the yearning for a warm shower and ibuprofen.   Had to get back in to it the next day or so to remove many little roots and shoots so I wouldn’t have baby forsythia in a matter of weeks ~ it is a fast grower!

When I am out on the lake, and looking at yards and landscaping, I try to imagine the view from inside the house, too.  I imagine folks do that to my yard as they paddle or motor by.  I know there are points of reference, too.  I didn’t want one to be “You know, that house with the ugly forsythia right in the middle of their view”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment