Tuesday, May 26, 2015

That's going to leave a mark.

So I am that lady.  That lady who falls on sidewalks and can’t really get up under her own steam.   The beginning of a great holiday weekend and I banged up my knee super badly, in a crowded entry to a baseball game of all things.  People streaming by and me, writhing in pain, unable to stand for a minute, hoping no one notices.  My leg is not going to fall off, and at my age, at least it wasn’t a hip.  Just a really, really ugly bruised knee. 

While it did put a little skew on some of my plans (I won’t be digging out hosta for a few days) it won’t hold me back much.  Still had a fabulous weekend with grandbabies, family and lake time.  I love my life, even with a sore leg. 
It continues to be rainy for the next few days but not enough to really keep things watered well.  I still have to schlep water from new tree to new tree.  A few years ago a good friend, who is a tree guy, told me to water for a year.  So, taking his advice and a 2.5 gallon watering can, I make several trips to the outdoor spigot.  This week I had the help of a 3 year old grandson who was convinced, until proven otherwise, that he could carry the watering can for me.  Of course, he caught on pretty quickly that he wasn’t going to be able to do it and we struck a deal ~ I carry it full, he carries it empty, tears avoided.  Teamwork lesson as his shoes became wetter and wetter.  He was also convinced that he needed to hang on to the tree stake while I poured the water.   Which, why not?  Having him help certainly made the chore longer, and loads more fun. 

The woods are filled in now and green replaces the open view from the road side of the house.  The shade loving plants which had been kissed with a little bit of sun in the spring are now taking their rest in cool shade.  
Progress is being made with the shed plans, rafters designed and siding decided.  Hubs and his two sons-in-law, bless ‘em,  spent some time this weekend cutting up an old tree that had fallen and is partially in the site.  I talked with the county building department to learn what needs to happen with building permits and inspections.  I also learned that I am in a flood plain and can’t build within 30 feet of the lakeshore without a permit from the Department of Natural Resources.  The shed isn’t planned anywhere close to the lake but it was interesting news.

One small update for you…the Tervis tumblers got a spin on the lake and were quite the hit.  Secret? They are filled with ice water but the grandkids still thought they were super fabulous. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment