Tuesday, June 3, 2014

This is how it starts.

I am into a new month of being at home rather than at work in a full-time job.   I am newly, sorta, diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and trying to incorporate exercise into my life. It's not all fun and games around here, but, I am getting through it and as is true in all situations in which a person wants to throw a small, and it is small, pity party, there are folks managing so much more than this.  While I have adjustments I am making, they are certainly majorly minor and overall, I feel really good.  I don't want to make it sound like I am not well...that's not the case. 

I am learning a few things and I have discovered another truth about yoga, my exercise of choice, now that I am on like day 5 - I can not bounce out of bed first thing and do any kind of yoga.  Even at my worst, with the exception of during pregnancies, I have been able to touch my toes.  I guess because I am low to the ground, but, I could always touch the floor.  But not now, not first thing in the morning.  My back just hasn't shown up.  Which, you know, forces you to remember who is in charge. 

So I am establishing a routine.  I walk around the house for a few minutes after waking, sort of gather my thoughts, check the weather, try to determine how I want the day to shape up.  After starting a cup of coffee and changing clothes, the little dog and I go outside and walk the yard.  Do my flowers need watering? What about that stick over there? Is that a stick? That kind of thing.  When we come back inside, I eat a bowl of cereal with fruit or juice and start planning my day.  Now, some of you might think "Plan your day? Plan your day. Seriously" Yes, I have to plan.  This just doesn't happen on its own, people...it's a machine. 

I do take a bit of time here.  When I worked outside the home, I was usually rushing, trying to choke down a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast, as the dietician reminded me, we should all try to have breakfast every day but its really important for us Type 2bees.  Okay, fine but while still working, all I could think is, how healthy can this be? I was not even sure I was chewing and I usually had at least part of whatever I was eating go out the door with me.  Since I have afforded myself the time, I take the time with breakfast.  I look out at my glorious view and plan my day. 

Yoga will come in late morning, when my back joins me.     






No comments:

Post a Comment