Sunday, June 1, 2014

Who me? That can't be right.

Along with starting to take medication for the ol' blood sugar issue, and leaving my full time, out in the real world, job in which I walked up and down a flight of stairs about 20 times a day, I determined I should try some form of exercise.  My doc will be so proud.  

I have given this a lot of thought.  What form of exercise is right for me? I've never been too exercise driven - was a tiny little kid and young woman who learned late in life that doesn't stick with ya.  Ya gotta earn it. And really, gaining 40 or 50 or 60 pounds with a baby is not a good idea.  It just isn't.  Eating too much processed food, fried food and dairy when you are a teenager and young adult comes back to haunt you in ways that would scare a ghoul.  These are all lessons you learn at oh, about 53.  No, I'm not claiming to be 53 but I procrastinate.

I settled on yoga.  Now, I will not be purchasing any fancy clothes or signing up for classes any time real soon.  I have to admit I was veering away from yoga as the people I know who practice yoga seem to share a secret or something, like they are in some private club and to be frank, yoga seemed kind of snooty in some ways....and too mystical, too many chimes.  Except  then I met my daughter-in-law who is in no way shape or form snooty and who also seems to always be having a grand ol' time.  I've also witnessed her get in great shape over the last year; she's worked hard, yes, but she has had fun doing so.   

I found a video online that is very straightforward and not mystical at all.  It's a tough old workout in someways.  I've done it for a few days now and, here's the bad part, yoga uses your body for resistance.  So its my weight I'm working against, and that is not a joy, trust me on this. Then there's the whole balance thing.  You know that hippo in the tutu in Fantasia? Looks like there's no way she could be on her toes? That's how I feel when I'm trying to balance.  I've only been at it for a couple days and here is what I can say, to date...I have not reached nirvana or whatever and I am s.o.r.e. in places I didn't know I had.  Even my fingertips hurt.  It's like the decoder ring we use to get in cereal..Y=S, O=O, G=R, A=E.

More on this later, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment