Thursday, June 5, 2014

To be or not...is there a choice?

When a person such as myself, who is maybe a bit self-conscious about a few things, is diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic there is, for some, a feeling of guilt that creeps in.  Shouldn’t have eaten that cake or pie, should have paid more attention to my carbs and fats, should have, should have, should have.  It’s a little hammer on your head, making it hang lower and lower.  Oh sure, my doctor explained that it is lifestyle but is also genetics that plays such a large part…so? Am I to rail against my mom and dad now? Shake my fist in the air?

I tried to read as much as I could understand to answer my question “How did I get here?”  I couldn’t really get to an answer, though.  How is it that hubs can have ice cream or cookies every night and his blood sugar is fine?  One day, I saw two overweight adults, laughing away their afternoon.  I was a bit angry and thought “Why me? Why not them? Sure, I could weigh less but I am not THEM”.  Oh my.  That’s hateful, isn’t it? Forget that I have no idea what their medical issues might be but what in the world was in my head that I would even take that path?  Not my finest hour, by any means and I realized, quickly thank goodness, that my attitude was what was shameful.  If I had to be guilty of something, I certainly jumped both feet into that pile of pooh.    
My doc had suggested I speak to a dietician and at first, I delayed and deflected and approached the 2bee (that’s what I call it, and myself) as something I could manage and control without any further ado.  I was testing at home and doing okay.  Didn’t really want to talk about it or think about it, and certainly not speak to a dietician.  I was about six weeks in when I accepted I needed some guidance and called to make an appointment with a hospital dietician. 

I met with a lovely young woman named Megan.  She quickly dispelled some myths and misinformation.  I had been told to make sure I was getting protein at every meal by someone at the medical group; Megan said, more importantly…take note of your carbs, your protein will follow.  Eat balanced…let me show you a plate.  She was gentle, she was kind but firmly provided me the reasons I may want to eat differently than I had been.  I asked her about wine, which I like to have with dinner.  Her advice was to test before wine with dinner and after.  Then test on a night without wine with dinner, and after  ~ to see what it did.  Never once did she say “DON”T”.   I said “I have to give up cheese. I love cheese.” She said “Why would you give up cheese? Do you need to balance it? Maybe think about low fat cheese? Yes.  But give it up? No.”  
She explained my test results, rather than giving me numbers.  She helped me understand why I was testing at home, why my A1C was important and science, not magic, is why it can provide my results for the past 90 days. (In case you are wondering, it’s because your red blood cells live for about 90 days and that’s where the glucose or blood sugar is).

I came away from meeting with Megan with a better understanding, more education,  and so much less guilt.  I think everyone should meet with a dietician.  I seriously do.  It’s amazingly good information.

No comments:

Post a Comment